How to help a constipated baby?
In a previous post, I covered homemade infant meals; now, I’ll tell you about foods that can aid babies with constipation.
As babies start eating solid foods, many babies can have problems with bowel movements, and feel bothersome constipation, they get irritable, which stops them from progressing with the meals that they can already start eating.
For food recipes you can check:
Massages against baby constipation
There are certain ways of massaging to combat the constipation of the baby that are very effective. Using the fingertip to make circular motions on the stomach in a clockwise pattern. I will talk about this in my later post. You can check this oil for a massage here.
Foods that stops constipation in babies
Understanding what foods contribute to intestinal transit and help reduce constipation in newborns is the best way to put an end to this problem.
- Fruits: As newborns are fed a complementary diet of porridge and purees, introducing some fruits might help them feel relaxed when they are constipated and unable to defecate regularly. Fibre-rich different fruits, such as steamed and mashed Pears, Plums, Apples, Prunes, Papaya, and Grapes, are ideal for purees and porridge (chopped and beaten very well with the puree). Always avoid unripe bananas.
- Vegetables: They are another source of fiber, which is essential for the baby’s digestive and intestinal transit. Example: Broccoli and Beans.
- Cereals: The best thing we can do for the baby’s constipation is switch the cereal. We use to make porridge and go with oatmeal, which has a laxative effect and may help battle this uncomfortable problem.
- Yogurts/curd: Foods with Bifidus (anaerobic bacteria) are very important for eating in general, but much more when it comes to constipation in the baby. Yogurt is good to take when constipated, it contributes to a significant increase in intestinal transit. They include prebiotic fibers, which improve the state of the stomach after eating and allow food to be evicted.
- Water: The amount of water consumed per day significantly improves the body and can also make the stool much softer and easier for the baby to pass. Although it is always advisable to assist your baby in consuming it. But note baby can only have small sips of water, and only after they hit the age of 6monts.
Mix some asafoetida powder in a little bit of water. Make a semi-thick paste out of the ingredients. Use this paste to cover the naval area. This will provide immediate relief from colic, gas, and constipation. You can purchase it from here.
Constipation, on the other hand, hardly requires an urgent consultation, but in some babies and children, it can become a chronic problem that will cause them a lot of distress and pain. Do consult your pediatrician if this problem persists for a longer time.
In any case, do not panic, try the above-mentioned remedies to relieve constipation in babies. If constipation is happening frequently and home remedies are not being useful, consult with the pediatrician.
You will also love to go through these articles:
Disclosure: Some of the links in this post are affiliate links and if you go through them to make a purchase I will earn a commission. Keep in mind that I link these companies and their products because of their quality and not because of the commission I receive from your purchases. The decision is yours, and whether or not you decide to buy something is completely up to you. Happy shopping!